19 January 2024

2024 reading goals

 

Reading journal spread with my 2024 reading goals

It's the start of the year and time for some goal setting! My reading goals for 2024 are:


Read 50 books. This is something that I’ve done several years in a row, so I know this goal is attainable. There have been years when I’ve read one hundred books, but I don’t think this will be one of those years!

Fill out book bingo. I want to challenge myself to read more diversely, and a book bingo should help me reach that goal. Check out the video about my 2024 reading journal below to see the items I’ve added to my book bingo!

Try annotating a book. Annotating a book is something that I’ve never done before. We didn’t do that in school, and I’ve always been hesitant to write in my books and “ruin” them. But after seeing so many annotated books on bookstagram, I want to try it to see if I like the practice. For Jane Austen July (more on that below), I’ll try annotating Pride and Prejudice. I have two editions of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, an old paperback and the pretty Penguin Clothbound edition, so I’m okay with writing in the paperback. I expect it will be easier to annotate a book that I know and love, and I’m really excited to see what new details I'll pick up this way!

Read more library books. Visiting my local library was something that I used to do regularly, but it fell on the wayside when I began to buy more books. An even bigger hit to my library visits was the pandemic when the libraries were closed. I want to get back into the habit of getting books from the library and not buying everything. I hope it will also help me DNF books that I don’t enjoy, as I don’t have the burden of “but I bought this with money!” at the back of my mind.

Participate in readathons. Specifically Jane Austen July, and possibly Victober. I already have plans for Jane Austen July (such as annotating Pride and Prejudice), but I’m not sure if I have time for Victober as well.

Review all books I read. I want to post reviews of the books I read on Instagram, Goodreads, and here on my blog. I also want to become better at writing reviews and analyzing books beyond the “I loved this book” or “This book was meh.” I’m hoping this blog will help me with that!

Read more ebooks. I have a few ebooks waiting on Kindle App on my phone that I haven’t gotten around to reading. They’re mostly books by fellow indie authors, and I want to support them by reading (and reviewing!) their books.


2024 Reading Journal Set-Up

My goal is also to update my 2024 reading journal regularly, track the books I read, and to draft out my reviews in the journal. If you’re interested in seeing the set-up of my 2024 fantasy-inspired and dragon-themed reading journal, check out the video below!

 


Writing and social media goals

My number one writing goal is to read the third draft of my current work in progress (working title: Project Prehistory) and to write the fourth draft. I expect that to take up the majority of the year, as revising and editing is something that I do extremely slowly. Hopefully by this point I’ve ironed out the major kinks and the process is smoother than during the second and third drafts, but if history has taught me anything it’s not to expect too much with this project. 😅

My secondary writing goal is to revise one or two short stories that I wrote during NaNoWriMo last November and hopefully also publish said short stories. I hope I can squeeze those somewhere in between working on Project Prehistory.

I also have some social media related goals such as starting a blog (clearly a success!) and trying out long-form Youtube videos (also working on that) as well as plans for my Instagram account.

 

January hopefuls

Reading journal spread with January hopefuls


As it’s already mid-January, I’m adding my January goals to the same post.

My goal is to finish five books:

  • Sunyi Dean, The Book Eaters
  • Claire North, Ithaca
  • Aeschylus, Agamemnon
  • Sophocles, Oedipus and Antigone
  • Sophocles, Oedipus (different translation)

 And to start reading:

  • Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
  • Plato, Republic
  • Bonnie Garmus, Lessons in Chemistry

***

Let me know in the comments what your reading goals for 2024 are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...