04 September 2026

August Wrap-Up and September Hopefuls

 

August Reads

 

August Wrap-Up

  • Finished: 4
  • Started but not finished: 2
  • Total pages read: 1,409
  • Average rating: 4

I finished three fantasy novels and one nonfiction book in August. Amélie Wen Zhao’s Chinese-inspired young adult fantasy Dark Star Burning, Ash Falls White (4/5 stars) is the second book in a duology and a satisfying ending to the series. Lena Jeong’s Korean-inspired young adult fantasy And Break the Pretty Kings (3/5 stars) was more of a disappointment, and although younger teen readers might enjoy it, I don’t think I’ll be continuing with the series. M.L. Wang’s adult fantasy standalone Blood Over Bright Haven (5/5 stars) was an amazing read and one of my favorite books I’ve read this year.

I also finished Marilyn French’s feminist nonfiction The War Against Women (4/5 stars). It was a reread, and since the book was first published in 1992, some of the information is rather outdated and at times the book read more like a listicle.

 

September Hopefuls

September Hopefuls

My goal is to finish four physical books in September: two novels and two nonfiction books. I’ve just started Marie Brennan’s adult fantasy A Natural History of Dragons, and next I plan to read Gaston Leroux’s The Phantom of the Opera. The nonfiction books are both feminist nonfiction. I just finished Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique, and I’m starting John Stuart Mill’s The Subjection of Women. I’m also planning to listen to one audiobook and read an e-book, but I haven’t decided on the books yet.

~ ~ ~

If you want to see more about the books I’ve read and a little book haul, check out my August wrap-up on YouTube:



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...